Thursday, October 21, 2010

To bed I said...

"Mom, do you seriously think I'm going to make this bedtime thing easy on you?"

Bedtime has been....interesting....lately! Scott starts most nights in his own bed and usually stays there until between 2 and 6 when he wakes up and cries. Due to sheer laziness on my part I go get him and bring him back to bed with us, because quite frankly I don't want to wake up completely to rock in his room I would rather just fall back asleep with him next to me. I'm not ashamed to admit that I still enjoy him sleeping with us and I know it won't last forever so I will enjoy it while it lasts. Even Brian admitted that when he is in his crib he misses him. Never the less we know that we should at least be practicing sleeping in his crib, hence the nightly starting off the in crib routine. Last night Scott would not settle down (the trend lately) he was soooooo tired (from our super busy day...see below) but just kept wanting to play, and then he would fall or get frustrated out of extreme exhaustion and completely melt down, I would finally get him calmed down and he would want to play again, repeat sequence (If You Give a Mouse a Cookie comes to mind here, a metaphor for life truly!!!!). I'm not a supporter of "cry it out", I will not go into my reasons because you might be and I don't want to sound critical, but suffice it to say it is not right for us. But last night I didn't know what to do to get him into bed mode so I put him to bed and let him cry for about 5 minutes and then he got quiet. I checked the monitor and he had fallen asleep sitting up with his head on the bumper of his crib. I let him sleep like that for a few minutes then moved him to a more comfortable position. I check the monitor again at 2 (he wakes up so often at 2 that when he doesn't my body clock still wakes me....awesome!) and he had sat himself back up to sleep on the bumper...weirdo! So I moved him again and he stayed there until about 4 when he needed a diaper change. All in all it was an ok night, but bedtime is definitely the hardest part of our day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers