Friday, September 6, 2013

Dining with the Campbell Boys


I'm writing this post for two reasons: 1) to get a little feedback and find out if my toddlers eat like normal toddlers 2) to have a record to look back on to remind myself that they do, in fact, eat, a lot, and they won't starve to death on the days/weeks that will eat nothing but oatmeal and crackers.  I give you a typical meal day for the Campbell boys over the last few weeks:



Breakfast, 7:00 am ish:  One package of applegate farms chicken breakfast sausage, that would be 5 for each of them.  
1.5 - 2 scrambled eggs each (we usually make 8-10 for all 4 of us so my guess is that they usually eat about 2 each, give or take)
Yogurt
One piece of toast for each of them

**One day we only had half a package of  sausages and we were out of eggs so they had all of the above plus oatmeal (2 servings for Scott, 1 for Owen)

*Frequently one or both of them will also drink1/3-1/2 of both my and/or Brian's breakfast smoothies

Second Breakfast, 8:45-9:00am:  Usually eaten on our way to whatever we are off to do for the day.  Usually consists of another piece of toast (no jelly, cinnamon or plain, I try to keep the boysenberry jelly off the car seats the best I can).  Sometimes its Joe's Os or Gorilla Munch cereal dry in a cup.  Or whatever I have handy because God forbid we leave the house without a snack in hand.

10:30am:  Post cardio barre lollipop.  The lovely ladies at cardio barre give the kids a lollipop after class everyday.  I'm totally fine with this, even as early as 9:30 in the morning, because they are the good, trader joe's kind, no corn syrup, no dyes.  And for the record, I do not count this lollipop toward the boys' "treat total" for the day.  Many days the boys get another lollipop after lunch, and if I'm being totally honest, lots of days we go straight from working out to my office where they usually receive another lollipop, mere moments after finishing their first. Mother of the freakin' year ya'll.

Snack, sometime between the lollipop(s) and lunch:  Applesauce, crackers, grapes.  Usually all three.  Sometimes apple slices too.

Lunch: 11:30-12:30 ish:  Grilled cheese (its been our go to lately).  Usually a whole one for each of them.  More grapes (they can easily go through about a pound of grapes in a day) and apple slices.  Some times a post lunch treat (annie's chocolate and vanilla bunny grahams have made an appearance in our house this week).  

Afternoon snack part I:  Only Scott, usually happens during his quiet time while Owen naps.  Almost always more apple slices.  Sometimes oatmeal as well.

Afternoon snack part II:  When Owen wakes up he is usually ready for a snack.  And if Owen is going to have a snack then bet your booty Scott wants one too.  The last few days they have been asking for meatballs.  We get the chicken and sun dried tomato ones from TJs (the boys are CRAZY about them) and they will have between 3 and 5 each at snack time.  Also {goat} cheese slices.

Dinner, 6:00pm ish:  Dinner choices vary greatly and its usually the meal the boys are the worst at eating.  Might have something to do with the 5 meat balls they both ate a 3:00?!!?!  So let's just give you last night as an example.  Thursday evening I work until between 6 and 7 so its almost always pasta or pizza night for the daddy and the boys.  Last night I came home and they had both eaten a full helping of pasta.  When I got home and started in on the left overs they decided they both needed a second helping.  So pasta number two happened between 7 and 7:30.  And since I didn't need to carb up on pasta and I didn't want to eat the boys' food in case they wanted it all (they did!), I made a green smoothie.  They helped themselves to that as well and polished off about 3/4s of it.  At that point I didn't care too much because they hadn't had nearly enough vegetables that day so at least I could send them to bed full of spinach.  I feel that I need to inform you/CPS that almost every dinner includes two vegetable choices so that Scott can choose between them for what kind he wants, this has been our only solution to vegetable eating.  If I only make one, even its his favorite (broccoli or carrots) he refuses, but if he gets to choose he will usually do a decent job.  But Thursdays all bets are off.  It is what it is.

So there goes my grocery budget.  But I can't complain.  I love it when they are good eaters, especially when vegetables are involved.  And I am thankful that we have the means to feed our children healthy food and I can be discerning with what comes into our house and on our table (some call it being a food snob, but I'm thankful none-the-less).

2 comments:

  1. Your boys DO eat a ton. Wow! I want to break down a quick comparison for you (my kids usually eat the same stuff, minus the snacks/meals that Charlie will eat more than Lucy).

    Breakfast 7:00 - Large bowls of oatmeal with applesauce. With an extra helping of fruit on the side. Almond milk to drink, about a half a cup.

    Snack 9:30ish - Charlie eats snack at school on MWF which usually consists of crackers and some kind of fruit. Lucy will eat whatever we have on hand, often a bowl of cereal (dry) or some animal crackers, or just a piece of toast. Carb central!

    Lunch 12:00 - 99.9% of the time, sandwiches with almond butter and honey or jelly. Fruit or baby carrots and pretzels.

    Post Nap Snack 3:00 - Usually more pretzels or fruit.

    Dinner 4:30/5:00ish - Green veggies or salad (my kids love salad aka salad dressing), sometimes meat and usually a grain. Kyle has finally come around with not needing meat at every single meal which I'm so grateful for.

    Looking back, the kids don't have a whole lot of veggies but do a great job with fruit. Not because they don't like them, more because I don't serve them until dinner. Maybe we could try smoothies to get more greens in there. As far as drinks go, they are only drinking water. Juice runs through my kids, always has and they are perfectly fine with water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl, I don't have kids, but I'm so impressed by everything your boys will eat! I have a few boys in my life, and they wouldn't touch goat cheese, chicken sausage, or green smoothies. Not even broccoli! Chili dogs and burgers all the way. ;) My two cents is - pat yourself on the back for raising them so well. Don't let that doubt haunt you!

    ReplyDelete

Followers