Monday, December 3, 2012

"That Christmas Guy"

 And now the story of meeting Santa.  I tried to get pictures of the boys our Christmas card, again, today.  This involved some bribery.  And I still don't know if we have a good one yet, I'll post outtakes soon.  So I promised Scott ice cream (ah hem, dairy free frozen yogurt) if he would get dressed up and sit with his brother again.  So we did our thing and then headed across the street to the yogurt shop (if you are curious we have a pinkberry, yogurtland and a menchie's all within walking distance, a bit overkill no?  but only yogurtland and menchies have dairy free, like you care. ha)  We went to the side that has more fountains and the big Christmas tree so we could spend a little extra time wandering.
Well what do you know that this was also where Santa's cottage was set up.  After we looked at the tree Scott asked if we could see if Santa was there (which I didn't actually think he was) so he ran up and peeked in and turns out Santa was, indeed, home.
So Scott immediately got shy and walked out.  HAHA.  The most hilarious part is he loves to tell people he is shy.  He told Santa's little helper "elf", "I'm a little shy right now!"  So after some coaxing and a candy cane Scott decided he should chat Santa up a bit.  Sorry about the terrible quality phone pics.
 These two pictures are Scott explaining to Santa about light up shoes.  Above: "Your shoes don't light up"  Below: "See, mine light up" and he proceeds to stomp and show them off.  Santa tells Scott he really wants a pair, Scott is thrilled.  I'm a little nervous he is going to want to go get Santa a pair to leave with his cookies and milk (actually, cocoa, Scott learned in one of his Christmas books that Mrs. Claus serves Santa hot cocoa so now he insists that is what we must leave him in lieu of milk.  Santa is high maintenance).  Mommy is not sure they make Santa sized light up shoes and if they do they're not gonna be cheap (I know because I bought the toddler sized ones, much to my continuing horror).

Then the moment of truth, Scott agreed to stand next to Santa for a picture.  I debated having Owen join the fun.  I unbuckled Owen from the front pack.  So far so good. Stepped closer.  Still good.  Santa talked to Owen.  Owen reaches for Santa.  I figure ok let's try this so I plop him on Santa's lap.  WORST. MOMMY. EVER.
I think Owen just wanted to touch Santa's hat/beard/clothes from the comfort and safety of my arms.  I plucked him right up after the kind elf shot this picture.  Typical Santa picture right?!  I think all kids have one like this.
And as for the title:  Scott has a hard time remember Santa's name, so when we see a Santa decoration up he says "Oh mom, look, that Christmas guy!"  "There's the Christmas guy again!"   I say "Oh you mean Santa."  "oooooh YES! Santa!"  Scott has also played Santa several nights and brought me presents (his toys and books) one by one for hours (awesome pass time if you ask me!).
Oh and he asked Santa for an airplane.  Tonight in the bath tub he told me he asked Santa for a "superman airplane", not quite sure what a superman airplane is or does, but I think Santa is gonna have to follow through major on this one because Scott thinks he is the bees knees right now.
And of course immediately following our visit Scott ate the entire candy cane.  I don't know how you can say no to a kid who just got a candy cane from Santa himself.  So ice cream and a candy cane after 3 pm made for an awesome afternoon/evening sugar high and a crappy dinner for Scott.  We called daddy for a post game Santa discussion and Scott didn't say a word about meeting the jolly man, he immediately told daddy he got a candy cane (priorities).  Later we called Mimi and Grandma, also highlighting the candy cane first.
We ran to whole foods on our way home and if I was still writing my thanksgiving month posts I would tell you that I'm thankful for their precooked rotisserie chickens (free range and organic, no less).  I had that and some garlic stuff olives for dinner and it couldn't have been yummier.
So, better luck next year Owen, I hope I didn't scar you for life!

1 comment:

  1. I HATE candy canes. Charlie for sure bit into a bigger one this weekend (without me knowing) and took a bit of plastic wrapping with him. Fantastic! However, I do love the Christmas Guy! Scott is adorable! And Owen, Lucy feels your pain but at least we have memories captured in still form to share with you when you're older :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers