Thursday, December 6, 2012

And just like that, we have a preschooler

I feel like I just got hit by a bus.  Today we went to tour my first choice preschool.  I had been looking for some type of MDO (mother's day out) program since last summer.  To no avail.  Apparently they are all over Texas and other places, nada in the greater Conejo Valley.  I didn't feel like we needed full time preschool, or even that much structure.  So I planned on having Scott home with me until next fall.  Fast forward to a few weeks ago, Scott is now potty trained (opening up a whole new world of school possibilities) and he has a few friends who go to school so he asks about it and talks about it.  Then I get a recommendation from the fabulous Robin (of the prenatal yoga, childbirth class amazingness) for a co-op nearby that, despite my searching, I never came across.  So I called last week and set up an appointment for today.  The boys and I arrived and got to observe class, after about a half hour or so I was sold.  Great parents, great kids, GREAT teacher, a couple moms I already knew from yoga and Scott was having BLAST!!!  Plus they have a class pet: a bunny named 'Bun-bun' (I deducted a half a point for the lack of originality in naming the bunny...Bunicula - who remembers that book? best bunny name ever!)  Scott could not have been more excited about the class pet.  He went from being shy to talking nonstop to the teacher about the pet and about his pet at home and on and on.
So I went to the office to sign us up for next semester which starts the end of january and they say, well if you want you can start right now, we can prorate you for the rest of the semester.  Um ok.  So we paid up and went back to class for the rest of the morning.  Here I was planning to have weeks to prepare for school, talk it up, purchase a backpack and lunch box, get snacks all in order etc.  See what I mean, hit by a bus.  So as of 10 this morning we officially have a preschooler in our midst.  My mind is officially blown by this.
We already have homework (preschool is a lot of work for the mommies!) which is to design a placemat for snack.  So there's that, plus paperwork.  And who decides to start school two weeks before Christmas and now has a teacher to shop for? Great job mom. And please oh please God, for the love of all that is holy, do not let the bunny be sent home to different kids houses for a night, a weekend, a week, really any amount of time, I know some classes do this and I simply do not have what it takes to be an adoptive bunny parent, even for 24 hours.  And I even less have what it takes to tell Scott "no, honey, all the other kids get a turn to care for Bun-bun (gag with that name, seriously) but not you, mommy sucks".  So please, let's just avoid that all together, teacher: you keep the bunny.
I kid.  Kind of.
We are really excited about this next chapter for Scott.  I think he will really thrive in this environment.  I'm also excited for all of the parenting stuff they have associated with the school.  Each parent has to work one day a week and some of those time include discussion groups on things like conflict resolution with toddlers, new siblings, discipline etc.  I definitely felt like I was rockin' parenthood until I pushed into the black abyss of toddlerhood with its talking back, attitude, physical violence and having to discipline.  I love how much support this school offers.  My impression is that many, if not most of the parents have a similar parenting style to Brian and me so I hope to learn a lot, right along side Scott.  And one morning a week for 3 hours I will only have one child with me = endless possibilities.  Well not really, I scheduled it to be during my work time, but still.
Here's to preschool, and the next 25 years of schooling for you Scott!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers