Friday, February 27, 2015

Speaking of Kindergarten...



Like many preschools, our school does very informal kindergarten readiness evaluations.  This really has no bearing on whether or not your child is allowed to move onto kindergarten, its just to give parents an idea of where their child is at, especially for parents who are on the fence about whether to start in the fall or wait a year (summer birthdays etc.).

The teachers were explaining this process to us at a recent team talk and gave some of examples of what they were looking at and evaluating for.  One such example was having the kids draw a self portrait.  My girlfriend and I looked at each like "are you nuts?! our kids are not going to do that."  We can barely get them to sit still for 60 seconds, let alone draw, color or craft.

Well a few weeks later I get to school to pick up the boys and one of the teachers takes me aside to tell me how it went.  I couldn't believe it when I heard that he not only did the activity, but that it actually resembled a human.  I had no idea he could draw anything more than a scribble.  (This makes it sound like i have no confidence in his ability, its really not that, its more that he has never shown any interest in drawing anything and I've seen him do is scribble.)

A voila, there you have it.  Scott's self portrait.  Kindergarten ready.  (By the way this also not the only thing they evaluate, and I was already pretty confident that he would be just fine starting in the fall.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers