Sunday, April 30, 2017

Little Scientists

My good friend Ashleigh homeschools her kids, and she crushes it.  In toying with the idea of homeschooling ourselves, we try to jump onto whatever cool thing she is doing whenever possible. 

Her daughter recently asked why some animal's eyes glow at night...fast forward a few weeks and we found ourselves in our backyard dissecting cow eyeballs with four kids!

In case you don't know, dissecting is my jam!  I think I was most excited of all for this day. We ordered our eyeballs and kits, set up in the backyard and we were ready to rock and roll.


We helped a little getting some of the cuts started and to help identify structures, but for the most part the kids were able to do the dissection almost unassisted. 

We were able to locate all the cool structures, the kids particular liked the tapetum lucidum, optic nerve and the lens.  


I knew the older two would get a lot out of this process, but I was surprised by how much the littler two were into it.

Chase and Owen working hard.  After they extracted their lenses they went and took them into the sun and played with them for quite a while.  They compared them, looked at them in the light and the shade, tried cutting them, it was great watching them explore and learn.
I dissected a cow eyeball in second grade and I still remember it as one of my best school experiences.  And I also remember being fascinated by the lens and saving it in my desk at school for the rest of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers