Monday, June 24, 2013

Swim lessons

This is the first year we've signed Scott up for swim lessons and he is LOVING it.  We did what I call "swimming bootcamp" which is a lesson everyday for two weeks in the hopes that he'll get really good and retain what he's learned.
He was already pretty confident in the water so when I was signing him up I was a little concerned that the class recommended for his age level was described as "lots of water play, blowing bubbles and possibly dunking their heads."  I couldn't sign up for the next level online because of Scott's birthdate, but after talking to the director one day when we went for open swim I was able to get him on the wait list for the next level class.  Glad we went that route, he would have died of boredom in the other class.

The first day they were in the kiddie pool (1.5 feet deep) and the teacher asked them to hop across the pool.  Scott didn't go with his classmates and the teacher said, "Scott can you hop across the pool?"  Scott said: "No, but I can swim."

Well that settles that then.


We are on week two and have moved up to the big pool.  Scott is rocking his "big scoops" (arms) and has really progressed all around (especially back floating which he has always hated).  He's loving it so much that I signed him up for another session in July.  The teacher said he could move to the next class up, good thing because Scott asked to go off the diving boards today and I'm pretty sure he will get to when he starts the next session.  Now if I can just find a class time that offers a "mommy and me" for Owen at the same time we will be golden, chasing that boy around the pool deck during Scott's lesson is exhausting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers