Thursday, July 3, 2014

Swim lessons

We completed our first session of swim lessons already this summer.  Perhaps we will do another session (they are 8 lessons over two weeks, this mama needed a break!).   We are doing at the same place we did last year, with one big, important change:  Owen is IN!  This kid has been waiting for a non mommy and me class for basically his whole life (we did do a mommy and me class and I think he was bored, also I don't really need to pay you to help me bounce my kid up and down and sing him songs, we are pretty good on the water exposure thank you very much).   I had them signed up back to back, with Owen going first.  The first day I thought this was gonna bite me in the a$$ because Scott was itching to get in and Owen was not too thrilled.  Owen actually cried pretty hard for the first few minutes, the pool director came and told me to stand where he couldn't see me.  I tried it for about five minutes and decided it wasn't right, the pool director told me "well in the nine years I have been doing this I have never seen it help the situation when the mom has gone over to comfort their kid."  Too bad, I went, two minutes later Owen was swimming with his teacher, no problem at all.  He hasn't had a problem since.  I am not saying that the director was wrong, well maybe I am a little, but I wish the advice he would give wouldn't be a one size fits all, cry it out method, but maybe more of a "you know your child best, what do you think would help him/her?"  Turns out I do know my child best and that he never would have felt safe or comfortable if I hadn't gone to help ease his mind.  I get sad because I think their are parents out their who wouldn't listen to their gut and go anyways, despite what the pool director told them - its those people I want to get the message: you're the parent, do what you think is right!
I digress.  Ever since the first day things have really turned around and the boys are doing great.  Scott was a little bored when they wouldn't let him swim on his own, finally he said "stop touching me and scoot back, don't come get me, I can do it myself."  So that was that.

The boys all ready for their first day:



Heading off with his teacher

Owen rockin' the kicking (don't let it fool you though, he wasn't the best listener, he did a lot of messing around, going when it wasn't his turn, getting out and jumping in when he wasn't supposed to, the poor little 20 year old teacher tried so hard but I think he was a little stressed by Owen's antics)

When Scott was in his lesson Owen was digging into the snacks.  It was perfect!



And while Scott was waiting for his lesson during Owen's.....well, this about sums it up:

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your sidebar to parents: follow your gut! I doubt myself so often when it comes to me parenting my boyfriend's kiddos when he's not around, even taking rules/advice from the 8 year old. : / Then my bf will say, "You knew what to do, why did you let him talk you into that?" Sigh!

    ReplyDelete

Followers