Thursday, July 3, 2014

The kindness of strangers...


Last week was A WEEK.  Everything seemed busier and tougher.  There were lots of break downs.  Tuesday felt like Friday.  You know.

So Monday after cardio barre we stopped at TJs because, you know, we had no food in the house.  None.  We were about fifteen minutes into shopping (maybe less), I had already tapped into my go to's for getting through shopping: 1. finish lollipop from cardio barre (if its not gone already, these two places are next door but sometimes they go that fast) 2. find coconut joe 3. stop for a snack at the sample station.

The boys were not having.  It was fighting and tantrums and all out drama.  Went the last straw hit I told them we were leaving.  We had chicken and bananas in our cart.  We had to buy them.  We had nothing in the house.  So we are in the check out line - still tantruming.  My girlfriend walks in at the exact right moment.  She has 3 kids, 5 and under, she's there too.  She gives me a hug.  By then we are paying.  Tears are brimming.  We are done paying.  The checker can tell I'm holding back tears.  I start walking out with the cart/kids, half pushing the cart, half dragging the kids.  The guy checking my groceries jogs out from behind his stand and meets me at the door with a bouquet of flowers.  He tells me its ok, he tells me to take a deep breath, he tells me that I'm a good mom.  
So naturally I start full on crying (bet he wasn't planning on that!).  

I could have left that store feeling defeated and embarrassed, and a little pissed off that we didn't have groceries.  Because of this man I left knowing it WAS ok, I felt encouraged, and I remembered that I am a good mom.

He has NO IDEA how much he changed our week (well he didn't until today when I gave him a 'thank you' card, he basically is either gonna think it was nice of me or he's going to think I'm totally crazy town).  But even still, I don't know that he really will ever know.

That night we had chicken for dinner.  No sides.  No veggies.  Just chicken.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderfully honest story. I bet the chicken was delicious. : )

    ReplyDelete

Followers