Sunday, March 29, 2015

Turning 5

So what if I just start updating the blog once a month?  Because that seems to be the rate I'm going.  In an attempt to catch us up I'll rewind to Scott's birthday, over a month ago. 

No idea how this guy is 5.  I mean seriously.  Scott has been excited about this birthday for a while, with kindergarten around the corner I think he could sense it was a big one.  

His birthday was on a friday and we basically just did our morning routine that day until daddy came home early to start the celebrations.  We had a bounce house scheduled to be dropped off for the weekend around 3 and some friends coming over to play after school that day.  Around 2:00 I was snacking on some macadamia nuts when Owen asked for one.  I didn't really think too much about it when I handed him one, even though about 6 months ago they had seemed to be possibly connected to hives.  I remember thinking as I handed it to him, "hmm this will be interesting, I should keep my eye on him incase he gets hives again."

In less than five minutes Owen had run to the bathroom to throw up (a totally normal occurrence in our house, so normal in fact that he is well trained in making it to the toilet before he vomits and that I usually wait a minute or two to get in there and check on him).  By the time I got to the bathroom with him he was crying and freaking out that he couldn't throw up.  Brian came in to check on him too, at this point his eyes were starting to swell.  I grabbed him and ran out the door.  Thankfully Brian was home so I didn't have to load up Scott and he was able to stay home with Brian and wait for the bounce house guy.

I called our ped from the car to make sure I could come to her office over going to the ER.  We were at her office about 10 minutes after Owen had eaten the macadamia at which point Owen's face was swollen beyond recognition.  I will you spare you the pictures, its pretty upsetting.  

We waited at the peds office until she felt comfortable that his breathing was normal.  After several doses of benadryl and an injection we were sent home with a prescription for an epi pen.  



A few hours later we were home, and Owen was of course passed out for the day.  Poor little love.  Its definitely a birthday we will never forget, but not for the best reasons.  

Scott was oh so worried for his brother, and was pretty upset by his swollen face when he finally saw him again the next morning.  Such a good big brother.

We ended up canceling our friday afternoon friends, and just had  a few school friends and cousins over saturday for some bounce house fun!

Grandma and Gpa came to visit on Saturday and brought the boys a fish tank for their birthday.  Brian took them out later that night and let all the boys (including Parker John) choose some fish and decorations for the tank.  6 fish and a frog (and as of this post 3 fish have survived):  Darth vader, yoda, storm trooper, fishy fish, froggy frog, darth sidious and elsa.

On Sunday I took Scott with some girlfriends and their littles to see our favorite babysitter (and daughter of one of our favorite teachers) star in Annie at our local community theatre.  She was phenomenal and the boys had a really great time.  Scott's biggest concern: "Where is Jade's real hair?"
Parker, Scott and our sweet Ms. Sandy.  

It was a fun and eventful weekend!  And I plan on writing up Scott's little 5 year old interview soon!

`

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers