Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Ringing in the New Year

Well by New Year's Eve we were all healthy and ready to party (haha, like we party). New Year's Eve was quite special and fun for Brian and me as I got to join him in Pasadena that night for the President's Ball for the Tournament of Roses. Brian works really hard all year on the tournament and especially the month of December and ESPECIALLY the week between Christmas and New Years. This year the dinner fell on new year's eve so not only did we get to have a fun date night out together but it just so happened to be NYE! I barely took any picture of the night and most of them turned out a little blurry, but it was fun and oh so beautiful. The highlight of the evening (besides getting dressed up and spending a night out with my handsome, tuxedo clad husband) was hearing this year's Grand Marshall, J.R. Martinez, speak at the dinner. I am not a dancing with the stars watcher and barely watch news so I didn't really know too much about him until Brian told me he would bet this year's grand marshall. Once I knew that I looked up his story and paid attention when he did interviews on TV, and what an amazing guy! He was such a wonderful speaker and he did a remarkable job of conveying his story - so positive and uplifting all while remaining incredibly humble. I did vomit in my mouth a little when he said he was only 28 years old - I'm not enjoying this stage of being older than people! I'm definitely a J.R. fan now!!! Dinner was fun and beautiful and we even got a little dancing in - which was a sight with my big ol belly, very junior high-esq. But did we make it to the new year? Nah. We had hit the hay by 11:30 (that's right we couldn't even stay up 30 more minutes in our room to watch the ball drop). Part of a great night out is actually getting some uninterrupted sleep!
The next morning Brian had to be out a the float judging at some ungodly hour like 5:30ish. I slept in a while (we were in a sweet hotel so I had to live it up, but unfortunately my body clock says sleeping in is about 7am) then headed home to hang out with my munch for the first time in 2012. My parents (who had oh so kindly stayed the night with Scott so I could be in Pasadena, thanks again mimi and papa!) and I decided to spend the first day of the new year at the beach...and Scott was THRILLED!
It was a little overcast but not too cold...and it burned off by midday so it was a win!


"Smell the foowers mimi!"
Story time before an early night to bed so we could wake up at 5am for the parade...
Scott's awesome daddy hooked us up with great parade tickets and Scott loved every second (despite being really tired from such an early wake up call)
Walking in we got to see the horses and some floats up close. In the distance we could hear some of the bands warming up and Scott kept saying "more trumpets", he couldn't even see the trumpets...hilarious! Look at those tired eyes of his below...
Our seats were right at the parade start...it was so cool!
Absolutely mesmerized by everything!!!
The Trader Joe's float...I thought it was really cute!
Clapping along to the music!
Happy New Year written in the sky by 5 planes!
HGTV float was also cool (love me some HGTV!)

Scott's second favorite float was the one with the dog's surfing - it was cute and hilarious!
Of course the highlight of the day was the Farmer's float because DADDY WAS RIDING ON IT! Coolest thing ever! I couldn't believe it when he told me (that morning). My pictures are terrible, at some point I will have to zoom in and edit and see if I can get a better shot of his face.
We were able to see him quite well from where we were sitting and he saw us as well. If you look really closely at the picture he is on the right of the float sitting down. See the guy standing and waving on the front right corner? Ok, the guy sitting behind him, right under the key. We got to see him on TV when we got home later too!
The Farmer's float from the front!
Scott was pretty much done-zo the last half hour or so, but he still did a great job!
One of the last floats were these amazing dinosaurs - big time score for our little buddy who is turning into quite the dinosaur fan lately!

We were home by lunch time and good long naps were had by all. Here's to 2012, we can't believe Scott will be 2 in less than two months and that baby brother will be here just two weeks after that!!! Happy New Year loved ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers