Saturday, March 3, 2012

I love what I do...

I know I'm not the only one. And how lucky are we, those of us who love our jobs, whose jobs are not jobs or work? I didn't always know I wanted to be a chiropractor, but I got there eventually with some wonderful encouragement and guidance. School was definitely a trial but in the end it got me where I am today (work wise) and has since allowed me to pursue my true passion of working with women and kids. In school there wasn't a huge emphasis on pediatric chiropractic, nutrition, pregnancy - basically all of the things I focus on now in my practice. But through awesome resources, like the ICPA certification program that I completed about a year ago now, I have been able to really focus on what I love and leave the rest behind. Not that I don't see a place for, or value other types of chiropractic or alternative medicine, I just don't love it the way I love what I do and therefor would not be the best I could be if that is how I practiced. Anyway, turns out I'm rambling...
My point is that this past wednesday night I was invited to a screening of a new birth choices documentary "Birth in Action". My beloved yoga instructor and childbirth educator, Robin, who has since become a mentor, friend and "Scott's Jewish Grandmother" was hosting the screening and invited me as well as her current students and other professionals in our community. To say I was in a room with some of the most amazing energy regarding women's health, birth and pediatric healthcare would be an understatement...amazing doesn't begin to describe how it felt to be there. OB/GYNs, midwives, doulas, childbirth educators, yoga instructors, students, mommies, daddies....etc. All who are motivated to raise the consciousness of birthing choices in our community. Stephanie Assisi, who's story is told in the film and who also produced and directed the project, was there as well. She began by telling us when she was pregnant with her first son (who coincidently is 13 days older than Scott) and she started looking into her options all the videos she watched were outdated and less than relatable. AMEN SISTER! She decided to share her journey so that other women in her position would have REAL PEOPLE to look at as an example. No joke: I told Brian, and several of my other home birthing mama friends - "hey we should seriously make a video so that people will realize that its not just drum circle, crazy granola hippies who live in the forest (which I can totally relate to on most levels so I'm not judging), we are 'normal' and we should tell people that we are into home birth too." But as if I was going to make a movie about it. 1) I'm not nearly organized or skilled enough to make a film and 2) Brian got one early contraction on video with Scott's birth and I told him in no uncertain terms what would happen if he turned the camera on again....the next video is of Scott minutes after birth. Stephanie is brave to share her story. She is so honest about her experiences from start to finish. And if you are wondering the actual "birth" part of the video is not incredibly graphic as in some childbirth videos, because her story is really about her education and how she prepared for birth not so much the few minutes/hours of pushing.
I guess what I'm getting at is if this is a topic that interests you: watch the film. buy the film. lend the film to your friends or patients. If its not - no worries. Do I think home birth is for everyone? No. Or natural childbirth? No. After looking at all my options it was what was best for us. What I hope for is that anyone who wants information can get it so they can make the best choice for them. So here is a link if you're interested: birthinaction - Birth In Action. I hope it works. If not go to www.birthinaction.com.
Being at the film the other night was such a great reminder of how great it is to do what you love. I know that God is opening doors for me in my community. Sometimes its frustrating because I want everything to happen how I envision it, right now, and that everyone will be super responsive to it. One of the best things I have been told by another mentor is to let things happen and grow organically. Great motto! I don't have the personality to come knock on your door and beat my way of thinking into your head. I want to be a resource for people who need it and a facilitator for people who want to be a part of their own healthcare. That doesn't happen over night, nor should it. And Lord help me I do not need the crazy all night chiropractic rallies that try to fire you up - its really really unprofessional people! (You however do not read my mama blog so I know I'm not offending anyone). And with that I have to say a special thank you to amazing and supportive husband who works so hard (and travels constantly these days it seems) so that I can essentially be home with our kids full time and still have a career that can grow slowly, organically, over time. Without him my practice would look much different. I could not do it without him!
I wanted to write it all down firstly to get Stephanie's project out there (in what little way this is) and secondly as a reminder to myself when I'm feeling frustrated and impatient how lucky am I do what I love and to be in a community that supports me as well.
And on that note...less than 2 weeks until baby bro should be making his appearance....birth story to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers