Sunday, March 18, 2012

Welcome to the world Owen!

We welcomed Owen into the world this past Thursday, March 15th at 3:11 pm. Like Scott, Owen was born at our house so, if you're interested, I give you Owen's birth story (and if you're not skip this post but I want to write it all down to remember it all). Labor (pictured above...well part of it...the 'nice' part) started Wednesday evening. Scott had gone to bed and Brian and I put on a movie...part way through the movie I started to realize my contractions (which I had been having most evenings) were getting stronger and consistentish. I started having Brian time how far apart they were. Turns out 10-15 mins....hmmm?!? By the time the movie ended around 10pm they were 8-10 mins apart and I had called my parents to give them a heads up that they might need to head back (they had just left from helping me that afternoon...my bad!) and I had talked to my midwife who said to keep timing them and to keep her posted (and that the whole 5 mins apart lasting approximately one minute is less of a distinctive marker in your second labor so she wanted me to fill her in on all changes). By midnight they were 5 mins apart lasting 45+ seconds and my midwife decided to head over. We continued to labor for the next few hours then I decided to get up and move to see if I could get things really moving...and then the opposite happened. I went from having contractions every 3-5 mins lasting a minute back to having contractions every 10-15 mins....what.the.world?! So around 6 my midwife went home, I tried to rest (even though I really just wanted labor to continue to progress and I was frustrated. I talked to some friends and family at that point because I needed to vent some frustration. Robin (whom I have mentioned countless times I'm sure, yoga teacher etc.) gave me great advice: if you want to cry, cry...then you can move on. So after a few more hours contractions started picking up again. I called my midwife at noonish because even though contractions weren't really getting much closer together they had changed and gotten much more intense (the 'not nice' part of labor...hence no pictures). My midwife arrived around 1:30pm and checked my progress (when she left at 6am I was at a 4), I told myself "be happy no matter what...even two more centimeters is progress", to my shock and excitement she told me I was fully dilated and we could PUSH! At this point Brian looked at me with excitement and love that rivaled walking down the aisle on our wedding day!!! I think we started pushing around 2pm and Owen Chandler Campbell joined us at 3:11pm at a healthy 8 lbs 9oz, 22 inches and 14.5 inch head! Heeeey big boy!

Here are our first seconds with our newest addition! So special!
Daddy and baby Owen
I got to hold him for a long time and even nurse him before we started on his newborn exam....but here he is all unbundled ready to be checked out.

Getting weighed. One of my favorite shots. I have this picture of both boys...same place, same midwife, same cute little scale that looks like the stork dropped them off! Only about a pound difference : )
Precious moments...
First few hours with our littlest boy
Scott did not attend the birth (a question that I get a lot). He is a very sensitive little guy and there was no way for us to explain what was happening in ways he would understand and we didn't want him to be scared or confused (plus my trac record shows I'm not the most 'zen' laborer and if I stub my toe or sneeze (let alone cry) Scott is the most concerned: "mommy, ok mommy?"). So when Scott woke up Thursday morning Mimi and Papa were there to take him up to their house for the day. He was up at his usual 7:30 and labor had slowed for me at that point and I was resting in the family room. Instead of just rushing out Scott and I were able to eat breakfast together and watch part of sesame street. He probably won't have memories of this but for me it was so special. I knew that Owen would be here when Scott got home that day and this was our last morning just us!
So after Owen was born and we got the house back in order Scott came home. He had napped in the car so he was a tad grouchy but he came around quick when he finally met his brother. When my parents got the call that Owen was here and to head back they told Scott and said lets take a bath then go meet Owen. Apparently Scott was incredibly insistent and said "no bath. Onen!!" he crawled right up with me and looked at him then finally asked to hold his hand. Then he tried sharing his apple juice with him and brought him some dinosaurs. Nothing sweeter!!
Scott has been a wonderful big brother so far. He loves to introduce him when people come over (even if they've already met him), "look....my Onen" and when he cries Scott says "it's ok Onen" and he loves to hold his hand.
Welcome to the world little boy. We all love you so much! You have made our family even more complete!
And thank you to everyone for all of your wishes, kind words, support, help and love!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers