Monday, July 15, 2013

Since we've been home + real life pirates

We are settling back into our normal routine now that we've been home for a few days.  Daddy took the rest of the week off which was a major treat but he's back to work today so now it really feels like vacation is over.  I love vacation, but I'm a creature of habit so its nice to be back into our routine (except that we wish daddy was still off!).  The boys and I are back to hitting up cardio barre in the am + the park + doing errands.  Owen's naps are getting back to normal and we resume swim lessons today.  I feel like we are truly in the heart of summer and its been great.  

Tangent:  The other day I was in Trader Joe's and Scott was acting AWESOME (sarcastic, he was having a tantrum about something, I think not getting a cookie from the sample counter because they didn't have cookies) but I stood my ground and we survived (it might have been the closest I've ever come to abandoning my cart and walking out while dragging my children by the ears...).  A woman walked by and gave me a knowing look (and I appreciate those, we have all been there, kids aren't perfect and I always feel like it helps when another mom looks at me or says something so I know I'm not alone, once and mom of teenagers whispered to me "Go mom, you're doing great!" - awesome, love that) but then she said "don't you just hate summer?"  Sort of that thought of "I can't wait til my kids are back in school."  Don't get me wrong I get it, routine is nice and school can be part of that, but the way she said it was so negative.  It made me pause and think I hope I never say that out loud to someone.  Already I can't believe that we will be 'participating' in a back to school season this year.  Bizarre.  And before I know it Scott will be in school more days a week, then every day, then he won't want to hang out as a family because he'll be 16 and driving around with his buddies and (gasp) girls.  And next year Owen will most likely start preschool and the same thing will happen to him.  Why do parents hate having their kids home with them?  Its so fleeting.  Its challenging for sure, and busy, and some days we get bored and its too hot to go out in the afternoon but I'm surely not ready to give them the boot.  I hope when I feel those feelings I can remember how short of a time I get to have them home for and I hope I never come off as negative about it like this lady did - and in front of her kids.

So back to what we've been up to.  We arrived home to a weeks worth of mail including my first ever stickygram order.  F-U-N.  If you don't know stickygram they basically take your instagrams and turn them into magnets. 

And this book arrived from amazon.  I feel like I'm a little late to the party on this one, but I just discovered her blog and I kind of am in love.  I'm excited to jump into this book (but first Inferno by Dan Brown, Brian just finished it and he's excited for me to read it so we can talk about it.  Its like our own little couples book club.  Romantic. Haha.)

Play dough dinosaurs:

Owen's still in travel mode.  He loves wearing (empty) backpacks and pulling (empty) suitcases around the house.

We have made a few stops at my office which usually calls for a lollipop to keep the boys amused for a few minutes.


We hit up the library while daddy was home with us which was an extra treat for me.  Corralling Owen while trying to pick out books with Scott is a task.

Saturday was pirate day and the boys were up early to practice the sword skills:

The Ventura harbor hosts a pirate day every summer and this year Mimi got the down low and we decided it would be fun and appropriate for the boys.  (I had visions of a drunken mardi gras type event with pirates and slutty wenches, loud music etc. but everything my mom learned was that it was very kid friends with lots of kid activities, so we gave it a shot...glad we did)

We met Parker J. and auntie there and besides a bit of a walk because the parking lot was full things went smoothly and the crowds really weren't bad.
 Costumes were encouraged and we know how much Scott loves to be in costume (and in character).

There were real pirates roaming around and while Scott was so excited to see them and meet them he was pretty unsure of posing for any pictures with them.  These two were the first ones we met and they were my favorite.  Really nice to the boys and patient with their nervousness + they handed out gold doubloons.  Good thing Scott already has a treasure chest to store them in ; )

Parker tried a picture but wasn't really convinced it was safe.

As close as Scott came to a picture, safe in Aunties arms

The real highlight was meeting Captain hook.  The boys got to ask him questions and touch his hook. 

Mimi and Papa treated to boys to a few tickets so they could go on some of the bounce houses (Scott loves him a good bounce house).  They ended up going on this pirate ship slide 3 or 4 times because some of the other slides were too big.

After a few hours with pirates Mimi and Papa headed off with the big boys to a play in the park.  I don't have any pictures because Hilary, Owen and I went on a coffee date at Palermo (happy sigh!) but I hear it was really fun and I hope to steal some of their pictures to post later on.  The play was Jack and the Beanstalk and was only about 45 minutes long, perfect for the boys.  At one point while the giant was on stage Scott got up and sort of nervously watched, my mom reassured Scott that it was ok and he could sit down, the giant wasn't going to get him.  That's when Scott said: "No, mimi, if he comes down here I'm going to get him."  He takes his roll of protector seriously and is always practicing his sword skills and karate moves (which he doesn't take or legitimately know any) in order to protect his friends and family.  He cracks me up.

After the play we met back at Mimi and Papa's for dinner and ice cream cones.

Love these 3

Owen is pretty stoked that he is old enough to get in on this ice cream thing now...

 Scott also had the special privilege of having a sleep over at Mimi and Papa's that night.  It is so nice for each of the boys to get some one on one time with them.  I hear Scott had a great time and was (mostly) well behaved!

And just for fun some bathtub pictures from last night because I haven't taken those in forever.

These two tiny tushies: 
Now I really must get dinner prepared and get packed up for swim.  Til next time friends...

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Charlotte. I love that you told that Trader Joe's story. Funny thing is, I have dragged both my kids out of that store before due to bad behavior and its so hard to stand your ground sometimes! Mom's are awesome.

    Second, I HATE when people talk about their kids negatively. I know they (kids) have their moments but when it comes down to it, I couldn't imagine being anywhere else than with them at this time. It makes me want to cry when I think about how fast it all goes and I really try to cherish every moment, I know you do too!

    So good on ya, mama! You are great and those boys (Brian included) are blessed to have you xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Followers