Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Play dough memories

Growing up our play dough was always home made.  I don't remember when my first exposure to store bought play dough was, but I remember being a little disappointed by it.  I don't really know why, maybe it was just what I was familiar with, but I never found the store bought version to be all that great, except for maybe the brighter colors...and the smell, I love that smell (weird right?).  

The boys and I made a fresh batch of playdough today and I think I pinpointed why I didn't enjoy the store bought version growing up.  There was no process.  Play dough was probably one of the first things I helped "cook"  (besides gingersnaps with my dad or blueberry muffins with Aunt Charlotte).  We got to mix it, choose a color, sometimes we used an extract to add a scent to the batch, sometimes glitter, stir it up and watch it congeal into play dough.  It was science.  It was magic.

Then we got to play with while it was still warm.  Warm play dough is just as delicious as warm laundry.

Playing with the warm play dough today brought all those memories back.  I wanted to make Scott and Owen stop and enjoy how awesome warm play dough is (they were smashing it with toys!), but someday I hope they'll have the same memories as I do.

This was the first Scott helped make it which was especially fun.


Scott asked for orange for himself (which we scented lemon) and blue for Owen (which I planned to scent peppermint but we were out of extract)


And this face, I laugh every time.  What a riot!

Disclaimer:  I'm not judging store bought play dough, trust me, we use our fair share (and the smell....I just love that smell, yeah, I know its of chemicals, I can't help it).  So if all you use is store bought, rock on sister friend, but if you ever wanna try making it I have a good recipe and there is really nothing like playing with warm play dough.  Its almost worth making a new batch every time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers