Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Who's the munch?



Scott's nickname is 'the munch'. We all know this by now right? So ever since he was the tiniest baby I would say "who's the munch?" then I would raise one or both of his arms and waggle them around and say "me, me I'm the munch." So tonight I said who's the munch - and he raised his hand! SO.DARN.CUTE.
And let me just say on another note that God made toddlers cute for a reason. We have officially ushered in the stage of tantrums. I think I blogged about a "tantrum" a few months back. To that poor naive woman I say: "Oh honey, that was NOTHING." Nowadays we are talking full fledged body sprawl thrashing. Fantastic. Its happened walking across the parking lot when he decided he wanted to walk, then be carried, then walk and finally just got exasperated and laid out right there on the pavement right in front of some poor trader joe's shopper looking for a parking spot.
Monday we were at my office to see a patient during my off hours (that's why he was with me, otherwise my office is now a no fly zone for Scotty P) and he lost it. Screaming, beating his hands on the ground, out of breath yet some how wailing - meanwhile there is no staff to help distract him while I actually treat the patient (remember its off hours). I gave him a squishy snack (that's what we call those fab baby foods in the pouch that toddlers can squeeze into their own mouths - glorious!!!) which he said (nodded) that he wanted, then promptly squeezed it out all over the floors, walls and me (thankfully missing my patient, who I'm sure would have acted cool with it (because that is just the type of gal she is) but would have actually wanted to barf at sight and smell of the spinach/apple/pea medley).
Today was a treat when he decided he didn't want to ride in the cart (well he didn't want to ride sitting...he was more than happy to stand up, magically because he was buckled in, grocery cart buckles are totally worthless am I right?) so I held him, then let him walk, then held him, then for an extra special treat let him ride in the big part of the basket, until he refused to sit again. So there I am in line just holding him and praying that the whole foods line gets a move on when Scott starts hitting me in the face (another phase, he gets in mondo trouble for this but somehow still tries it out) I say its not it ok etc. etc. while he cracks up at me. And by the way, to the lady in front of me, this is an inappropriate time to say he is cute, he is, I know it, you know it, but when he is behaving this way there should be no rewards of "awwe how cute" and smiles from you, zip it! Finally he does it once and cracks up laughing (not like his usual kind of snicker, like full belly laugh) and it happened...I broke...totally cracked a smile and laughed at him (discipline regression like 6 months for that). Is there some kind of mommy boot camp, because I need it. I can't believe I broke - what am I going to do in the future if I'm already laughing at this?
And this is how I know that God makes them so darn cute for a reason. Who would have thought that the little boy smacking me in the face at the grocery store would melt me heart (yet again) by raising his hand to "who's the munch??"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers