Monday, October 1, 2012

Blood, Sweat & Tears

 Remember when I used to do super cool things with the boys and write really detailed posts with lots of pictures.  You could almost read it and get a little taste of our experience, almost like you were there, or if you went in the future you'd already have a little taste of what to expect because you read my blog (lucky duck!)....yeah, so that's over.  I thought about starting a new blog called "All our random crap" but decided against it.
So I'm just going to tell you a little about what the boys have been up to and also about our day today.  I wish I had a time frame for when these were taken (I guess I could look it up, nah too much work) probably over the last couple weeks-ish...
Scott and Owen love playing together.  Scott likes to include Owen (for now) in whatever game he is playing.  Above he was pretend taking a nap (its like he taunting me..."hey mom, watch while I pretend to nap, but don't think about leaving to do something because that's not the game, just laugh at me while I hide under the blanket and pretend snore...naps are for babies, LOL")  This particular time he wanted Owen in bed with him which was really sweet and Owen ate it up.

Speaking of eating...Owen is not yet. I swear its not the "second child I do things way later with you or not at all" syndrome (ok maybe a little).  He just hasn't shown an interest in solids much (unlike Scott, it was all I could do to get the kid to wait until 6 months).  And he is killin' it with the breast milk - 28in. (96%) and 19.6lbs (85%) at his 6 month check...so I figure we are just fine.  And it saves me having to start making baby food for a few more weeks.  But he is digging the high chair and I give him tiny tastes of avocado on a toddler spoon.  He thinks he's big time and I get to cook/eat for an extended period (of 5-8 mins).

He crawls (old news).  And pulls up to standing.  Is it bad parenting to pull him back when he gets close to furniture he can pull up on...because I do.

And these two crack each other up.  They have they're own little language.  Scott makes weird noises.  Owen laughs hysterically.  Scott laughs hysterically.  Repeat.

This past weekend we were in town and I had a list pages long of DIYs for Brian, which he did happily!  This is the only picture I took of his handy work.  Frames up in the hallway between the boys bedrooms.  I love it.  I made him hang some frames that don't have pictures yet because I wanted to see how it would all look.  Its driving him bananas.  I will try to fill them this week honey : )  He also painted and hung a mirror in our bathroom which completes it and makes it exponentially more functional.  Amongst other things but those are the 'fun' projects.

Which brings us to today.....so the fun thing we did today (that I took zero pictures of) was go to a new learning center in the valley (ironically right down the street from our old house).  We started the day bright and early with grouchy pants throwing his yogurt across the kitchen for breakfast : /  Thankfully no mocking song followed this time out.  Then we hit cardio barre, then the learning center.  It is such a neat place, a big tree house slide in the middle, a book room where kids could read and use puppets and they did a few story times as well, several stations of building supplies, arts and crafts, a nature station with seashells, rocks, bugs etc. with magnifying glasses, an infant room with lots of soft toys and climbing apparatuses, dress up center and that was just inside.  Outside has a sandbox, garden, more climbing, lots of picnic tables, a music area etc. etc. etc.  It was amazing.  And free.  WOW!  We met up with Andy and the girls and played our brains out for about 4 hours.
On the drive home I realized we left about an hour too late, Scott was in full break down mode.  When I would ask him what was wrong he was say "I don't know, I don't remember".  Break down city!!!
We got home and I let Scott watch some 'Wonder Pets' (more on that later) while I tried to get Owen down for a nap.  Fail.  Owen slept 20 mins, combined with his maybe 45 mins from sleeping in the ergo at the learning center and we had ourselves a very tired, cranky baby boy.  Sweet.  So then brilliant mommy decides to cook dinner and have it ready for when daddy gets home.  Fail.  Scott was still cranky and I was able to calm down by convincing him to help me.  He was going to press the garlic (we were having lasagna) and he was so excited about it that as I was turning around to wash something/throw something away/tend to Owen/or something he pulled the cutting board down on which I had been slicing the garlic to crush and the knife sliced his toe.  Really not that big of a deal, nothing some pressure and a Buzz Lightyear bandaid couldn't fix.  But to a cranky 2.5 year old that amount of blood = certain death.  So I turned off the burners and we spent the next hour on the floor in tears, applying pressure and feeling sorry for ourselves.  We eventually managed to get up and finish dinner (not before we talked to daddy on the phone to share our story, to have his co-worker over hear and {jokingly} say he was calling child protective services).  So that covers the blood and the tears....the sweat, well happy October 1st, here's a little 110 degree weather for you southern California.  I literally cannot stop sweating! UGH!
After we bandaged up, Scott helped some more.  He took his job of mixing the cheese layer of the lasagna very seriously!  CUTE!
After dinner Scott hopped in the bath, where I could over hear him playing "wonder pets" with his plastic animals.  It is so cute...he tells them to "come on guys" "let's save the animals"  "we have to help" "good teamwork" etc.  If you are not familiar with wonder pets (I wasn't until a week ago, my seamstress who was altering my bridesmaid dress, oh yeah, Kelly's wedding, no pictures, ugh, maybe I will steal some and blog about that, I want to, we will see, well she put the show on for him and he's been obsessed every since, he loves animals!!) its a duckling, a turtle and a hamster/guinea pig who go on missions in a flying boat to save other animals.
And last night we had company for dinner and Scott was so sweet and told me "Mom and I want to get some grapes to share with everyone" and then proceeded to take the bowl to everyone (we had guests) over and over until the grapes were gone.  It was sweet.  He has also been coming out of his shell a bit and saying hi to people again, the other morning he even said "good morning" to the gardener getting in his truck across the street.
And just now he was hiding under the pillows on the couch and passed the heck out (tough day).  Tomorrow we have our little jungle animal class, maybe I will take pictures, but probably not!

1 comment:

  1. I think this is an awesome post, Charlotte! You are a great mama and those boys are the handsomest! Thanks for sharing the details of your days :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers