Friday, November 22, 2013

A Month Of Thanks

So last year I attempted to post something I was thankful for everyday for the month of November.  I didn't succeed.  But I did post thirty things, usually multiple in a day once I realized I was behind.  I made them little things.  I'm thankful always for the biggies, but I really wanted to focus on the simple things during the month last year.  And it was fun.

Fast forward to this year…didn't even try it.  Ha.  But what I realized is that since last year I have been more cognizant of the little things that I'm thankful for all throughout the year from last years little exercise.

I'm back to thinking about being thankful for the little things this month, but lets be serious, I'm not even close to posting everyday.  But I thought it would be fun to name a few that have been in the forefront this month:

Fall weather, smells, colors etc.  Its finally cold here! WOOHOO!  And my pumpkin spice candle is burning and my pumpkin coffee and tea is brewing and I'm frankly just loving it.

Preschool crafts.  I took Scott's turkey hand home yesterday and I cried.  I thought he had refused to do it (he was refusing on my work day when they were working on them) but SURPRISE he did one later on (THANK YOU TEACHERS!!!). 

And speaking of preschool, I am so deeply thankful for ours.  Ok, so this breaks the rule a little and falls into the biggies category, sort of.  Its not family, friends, health, a roof over our heads….but what its become is community.  I look forward to my work day each week.  Scott loves being there, I love being there.  I love watching how much Scott learns and develops while he is there and I love feeling supported and supporting like minded parents.  And the teachers….the four of them are quite possibly my four favorite people on the planet (besides my own family).  Miss K, Miss J, Miss S and Miss J:  you have my heart, you may not ever see this, but I cannot possibly thank you enough for what you give us everyday! (for the record Scott gets to be in this classroom for another year and when he "graduates" Owen will begin, so really this is just the first of 4 beautiful years here!)

Christmas music.  Enough said right there, but I was especially thankful for it on Tuesday evening when I got in my car after a loooooooong day.  I didn't realize one of our local stations had already started playing it but Hilary (who I had switched cars with when we had switched who was watching the kids) had set it for me.  Perfect.

Coffee.  Cold early mornings…made better with a hot, caffeinated beverage.

"Mommy Percentages."  This is a made up phrase, but I don't know what else to call it.  Some days I feel like 90% of my day is breaking up fights, toning down whining, dealing with tired cranky fits….etc. etc. etc.  You've heard it before.  But the moments that aren't that make up for it times 100!  Literally we will go for what feels like hours straight in survival mode, then we will laugh and hug and love on each other and the past hour of crabbiness is instantly erased.  And I'm so thankful for all of it.

The Gluten Summit.  I downloaded all 30 interviews and I'm so excited to dig in and to share it with my patients and friends.  Nerd alert:  I love continuing education.

Work perks.  Last night Brian scored free movie tickets to an early screening of Catching Fire (mind you I'm not even a crazy Hunger Games fan, we saw the first one on netflix and it was better than I expected).  Brian sent me out on a girls night with his Aunt and cousin and we had a blast.  Dinner, drinks and a movie - I felt like I was 21 again!

So there are few.  I'm sure there have been more.  I'm sure their will be more.  Its really fun to recognize the little things.  Happy month of Thanksgiving friends!


1 comment:

  1. May have to copy this, I love the little things you are thankful for!

    ReplyDelete

Followers