Wednesday, November 20, 2013

KA-RAH-TAY


{The title of this post is for you, Leah….I say it that way too!  UNAGI!}

Scott has been in karate for a few weeks now and he is loving it!  Its about the cutest thing in the world too.  We found a great program done by parks and rec with a teacher is perfectly appropriate for this age group (we had a soccer teacher over the summer that was fine, but I just think he didn't get 3 and 4 year olds, especially not mine, and Scott actually said out loud: I don't want to go because I don't like the teacher).  Anyways….karate has been great.  Its 30 minutes once a week and its just what we need to get our booties out of the house in the afternoon on a non school day!  They race, they stretch, they roll, they kick and punch, they learn the rules of karate (never hit people, always be a good listener), they count in Japanese and basically get all their crazies out!

Today they were doing an obstacle course (karate roll down the mat, kick the first mat, punch the second mat, kick the third mat and go through a tunnel).  Scott ran to be first and did a great job until after the 2nd set of kick then he just started wandering.  So I sort of whispered from the sidelines "tunnel" (by the way I try not to be "that mom" and just leave instructing up to the instructors.  I've sat next to "that mom" a lot and I basically want to punch her out each time, be it karate, swimming what have you).  So Scott gives me a little recognition, like oh yeah now I remember, then he gives me the thumbs up and winks at me on his way.  No joke.  Like: "got it babe, thanks."  I'm in big trouble with this little charmer.   I would give anything if I had that moment on film.  What a crack up!

Already looking forward to our next class!

"AAAAAH Salmon Skin Roll!!!!"

1 comment:

  1. Loving this entire post! Kyle has always been into the kids doing some kind of martial arts...he grew up doing Judo, I think? Yeah, Judo. Anyway, he talks about how great the discipline and respect is in any martial arts and I love that! Respect your teacher, your opponent, don't throw a fit when you don't "win" and whatnot. Great stuff! I should really sign Charlie up, taking him to a class where he is allowed to kick and punch would make me one cool mom.

    Also, the wink and thumbs up from Scott...I die.

    ReplyDelete

Followers