Thursday, August 8, 2013

I get it...

I haven't bought new jeans in years.  Years and years.  Maybe almost a decade.  Weird right? because I'm a shopper.  
In my defense I have been pregnant and/or losing baby weight for the last 4 years, which makes buying new jeans pointless.  My solution:  I just don't wear jeans.  Ever.  All fall and winter you can find me in leggings, skirts and let's face it 90% of the time I wear yoga pants anyways.  So I've been getting away with it.  But not without complaint.  When we go out anywhere that requires something more than yoga pants you can usually find me throwing piles of clothes on the bed that I tried on and didn't work.  
"I have nothing to wear."  
Brian's favorite thing to hear.
Not.
And for the last two years I've told Brian that I want new jeans for my birthday, "but not until I'm not pregnant/I've lost the baby weight".
To complicate matters I have always had a hard time justifying the pricey brands.  I have wanted to, but couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger.  And after trying on the cheaper brands and not liking them, I just convinced myself I didn't like the way jeans looked on me.  Period.  And I just wasn't gonna wear them.
So I found myself shopping alone with a girlfriend last weekend (bliss, we had lunch out (my fave vegan restaurant) then hit up Nordstrom and then out for iced tea, bliss I tell ya).  And she convinced me to try on jeans.  I didn't even know where to begin.  I had no idea what size I am, what's trendy right now, what "washes" I like, any of it. So I brought like 8 pairs into the fitting room and went to town.  Round one was unsuccessful as every pair I brought was too big (and that's a pretty sweet feeling after working hard at the gym for months and months, to be just a size or two smaller than I thought felt nice, not that I think size or weight matters but the baby weight doesn't just fall off of me, I work at it).  Andy, my lovely shopping co-conspirator and soul sista, helped me narrow down what was cute and currently fashionable, and even convinced me to take the plunge and buy them. It helped that I got a killer deal on my two pairs of "expensive" jeans, but I left feeling excited.
I wore them for the first time to work this morning and let me tell ya: I get it now.  Nice jeans...totally worth it.  They fit well, they are the most comfortable things in the world, rivaling yoga pants, and that's saying something.   And I feel a little bit like I have graduated into the grown up world.

But if you think that means I'm retiring my yoga pants (for everything except yoga/working out of course) you are dead wrong.

1 comment:

  1. Kyle just got his first pair of big boy jeans too. Ones that actually fit his long/lean frame and that look super hot on him (sorry, wife speaking). He couldn't justify the price for the longest time either, then he tried some on at Nordstroms during their Anniversary sale last weekend and was sold. I'm also a firm believer that you pay for what you get, and you get your money(s) worth with nicer denim. So, rock on sister!!

    ReplyDelete

Followers