Thursday, April 28, 2011

On Parenting...

Swimming with my munch today - such a lucky mama!

This was the quote on the back of a recent Pathways magazine (if you don't read it, I implore you, you must, its wonderful!). They always put great quotes on the back cover too! So here it is:

"Be careful of rules for your children.
Rules diminish responsibility.
Be careful of rewards for your children.
Rewards diminish self-esteem.
Be careful of punishments for your children.
Punishments diminish trust.

Let lessons be imposed
by the nature of things,
not by your own needs.

Integrity will replace rules.
Contentment will replace striving.
Spirituality will replace religion.

Songs will replace arguments.
Dances will replace battles."

- William Martin, The Parent's Tao Te Ching

I was struck this week when reading a blogger friend describe embracing her children for who they are. My mom always told me not to worry about the little things like Scott sleeping in our bed (co-slept until about 4 months ago - we loved it!) or if he took a pacifier or not. My mom said "no kid ever goes off to college still sleeping in their parents bed or sucking on a paci". Great perspective.
I like the idea of embracing Scott (and any future children) for who they are. I'm not big on imposing schedules and sometimes its hard not to feel judged for our parenting style.
I like that William Martin uses the language "be careful" he doesn't say "don't do this" or "do do this" - just be careful. As with all things I suppose!
We strive to have our home filled with songs and dances!

I tried and failed to put a link on here to a wonderful blog that does an "on your heart" link each week. I think it is a wonderful idea and I'm truly inspired by the stories I read. Too bad I'm struggling to get the link on here....??!?! ARG! Maybe next time. Please check out her blog...it's on my blog roll "The Weigand's" - Casey is a beautiful and inspirational blogger!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers