Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Back to School {in real life}

Today was our first day of school.  We have been getting excited about this day for weeks now, most of our friends have gone back already so its given us plenty of opportunities to talk about the impending school year.  I have enjoyed watching my friends' kids go back to school, mostly via the internet (enter facebook, instagram and of course all of your lovely blogs).  And I'm loving seeing how everyone makes it special for their kids.  Fun first day traditions, photos etc.
In my mind I had some big plan for a fun first day send off.  Maybe a pancake breakfast, a starbucks stop on our way, something out of the ordinary?  But then last night at 8:00 rolled around and I had done zero prep.  What I did do was run to the CVS photo lab nearby and print pictures for Scott's name tag and cubbie that were due a week ago.  I'm that mom.  Then we had a rough night of waking up, bad dreams and bet wetting, so lets just say we were less than refreshed when we woke up for school.  
We were meeting Mimi and Papa (who was released from rehab yesterday and is finally home for good, HURRAY!) at Parker J.'s house so they could take Owen for the morning.  Thankfully we were headed there, because I basically had nothing in the house for breakfast.  Mom of the year.  Auntie to the rescue with waffles and jam for the boys when we got there.  We made it out the door, but not without a trip and fall on the stairs and a shiner for Owen and lots of tears from all 3 of us. We made it to Auntie and Parker's (on time, miracle!) rushed through breakfast, quickly traded kids and cars and Scott and I were off to the first day.  Phew.

Scott was excited to get to school but our conversation on the way had me worried about what the morning had in store for us.  He has not grasped that Ms. Dana (his teacher from last year) will not be his teacher this year.  Nor will his friend Gavin be in our class.  He wanted to bring his new toy in with him, but knowing that would probably cause problems I dissuaded him from that.  And he really really wanted Owen to come with us.  Last year, on the days I worked in Scott's class, Owen was able to come with us.  This year he is too big and mobile for that and not quite old enough for the 2 year old class.  I tried explaining that Owen wouldn't be able to come to school until next year and then he would be in Ms. Dana's class, but that just left Scott distraught that they couldn't be in same class.  Sweet brother loves!

So it wasn't quite the magical morning I had in mind.  But we made it and it was a good day.  What more can you ask for right?!

 And I even got a first day picture (although he's not even wearing shoes yet)
I also have to mention that when we got to Mimi and Papa's to pick up Owen that the two of them gave each other the best hug I've ever seen in my life.  Unprompted.  Heart = melted.

Happy first day of preschool Scotty P.  You did great and we are so proud of you!

Wishing you and yours a great school year too!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers