Friday, September 27, 2013

Candyland

I few months ago I started to feel like Scott might be ready for board games.  We didn't have any to I set out to find my childhood favorite Candyland (Amazon for 11$ by the way.  I was not going to pay 20 bucks for it at target/toys r us.)  It took us a while to find a good opportunity to play (meaning Owen  napping with time to spare) but the other day Scott was the one to bring it up and since I knew Owen had at least 45 minutes left on his nap we got to it.  And it was a hit!!!

First let me say how sad I am that they have changed the artwork so much.  As with all classic toys that I see these days Candyland has been revamped to be busy, brighter and distorted.  I mean have you seen the new my little pony...why are there heads GIANT?  

Example the original Princess Lolly (my fave!!):

Princess Lolly today:   
Why is your skin pink?  And your eyes on the side of your head?  And of course, of course she went from being petite and normal looking to super disproportionately skinny with a super short skirt.  

And don't get me started on the former Queen Frostine turned Princess Frostine.  Too late.  Home girl looks beat.  Too much makeup, especially eye make up.  Were you at a bar last night?  Maybe that's why you got demoted.  And your hair is not beach wave sexy, it looks dirty, and you look like a slut.  Queen Frostine used to be so wholesome and motherly looking.  Obviously that is not the trend anymore.  

 Original board (or at least the version I remember).  Simple, bright colors, easy to follow, wholesome and cute characters.  Win.

Today:

No wonder Scott had a hard time which direction to go on the path.  I was having sensory overload by my second turn.

But despite all that we had a great time.

Scott really got the concept and of course really wanted to win.

He won the best of 3 and was a good loser when I won the second game (win finished on a high note of him winning)


I can't wait to play more board games as a family but I will be browsing garage sales for some of the original game boards.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers