Thursday, January 24, 2013

Rant

I'm seeing a trend at a few of the local parks we frequent (thankfully not our neighborhood park).  These electronic games are popping up.  And I'm seriously unhappy about it.


I guess they are like memory/pattern/Simonesque games (I don't know I haven't played them) which require kids to push different buttons in sequence etc.  Great game.  Memory, movement...super.  I just don't see a need for it at a park.  Don't kids get enough electronic stimulation in every other aspect of the world?  The park should be a place to escape the noise, stimulation and technology.  Swings, slides, sand.  Ladders, monkey bars, bridges.  I kind of thought that was the formula.  No electronics needed.

Be outside.

Use your imagination.

Shame on you Thousand Oaks Parks Department for allowing these to go into our parks and to take away yet another place that kids should be using their imaginations and instead filling it with loud noise and lights.  Again, I'm not opposed to this type of game.  This is just not the place.  And great to tell parents to tell their kids not to play on them, but that is less realistic when they are spouting off loud noises and distracting young ears.  Kids flock to this stupid machine out of pure curiosity.
The parks department should be expecting a letter from this concerned and disappointed parent.  And we are crossing a few parks off our top 10 list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers