Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Election day thankfulness and more

Yesterday was Election day.  We all know the outcome.  Some are happy.  Some are sad.  And some are very, very bad.....Dr. Seuss!!!  No?  I did not post anything political either here or my facebook because frankly I'm not very political.  I educated myself as best as I knew how and made the most informed decisions I could make.  The end.  And by the way another thing I have been thankful for this election season is not having cable TV.  No political commercials.   I highly recommend it.
So of course I am feeling thankful that we live in a place where we get the right to vote and make our voice heard.  And I am thankful for the people who work to protect that right.  This morning I woke up more than bummed out, I was pissed off!  Prop 37 got voted down in California and it just makes me sick to my stomach.  I could go on but what is that point of that, writing it out here won't help.  I made the decision to channel my anger and frustration into doing something and have started drafting a letter to the stores I frequent.  Maybe it will make a difference.  Maybe not.  Fortunately I have the resources for research what my family eats and where it comes from and who has tampered with it.  I'm sad for those that don't.  A seminar I sat through with Dr. Palevsky during my pediatric training offered me this little tid bit:  we get to "vote" every single day by choosing what we spend our money on, after all isn't that why people keep making these things, because people keep buying them.  So my vote is that I won't buy food that has been tampered with, sprayed with chemicals, antibioticed (made up word but you know what I mean) etc.  I know I can do a better job of knowing which company owns what and how that might work its way down, maybe the crackers aren't GMO, but they are owned by a company that actively opposes labeling of GMOs (example Odwalla juice is owned by the Coca-cola co., uses GMO, opposes labeling.)
So there it is, my little political "rant", if you will.  I am happy that this proposition has brought GMO food into the public arena a little bit more.

And today I am thankful that Brian gets home from his trip! YAHOO!  And he doesn't have another for a while! YIPEE!  And he is taking the whole week of Thanksgiving off!  GIDDYNESS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers