Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Superhero moms

If we are friends on facebook then you have already experienced the awesomeness of these pictures.  But they are too cute and funny not to write about here too, please indulge me.
The other day we trekked to target in need of a new pack of big boy undies for Scott (who by the way is totally potty trained (knock on wood) during the day, except for an accident here or there, we have been a underwear wearing, potty going toddler family for the last month).  He was good the whole trip so when we got to the underwear section I told him he could choose.  Without seeing any of the choices he immediately said, "Superman chonies mom!!"  Hold they phone.  How does he even know about superman.  He has never watched it, read about it or played it with friends (to my knowledge).  He's not in school yet so that's not where he learned it.  Before committing I made sure to show him there were also finding memo, buzz lightyear, cars and thomas choices, but no "I need superman, mom."  
I have a patient/friend who is a mama of two boys of her own.  Her oldest, about a year older than Scott, wanted to be batman for halloween, and she, like me, had no idea how he had learned about batman.  So she and I chatted at her appointment yesterday about all things superhero.  What really hit me was when she described when her son "chose the superhero underwear" so to speak, it was the first time he made a big kid choice.  Up til now Scott would have also gone with something disney related (cars/nemo), which I equate with a younger child's choice.  When he was so adamant about superman I was really taken off guard, what happened to my baby, I thought nemo would last a little longer.
There is still some baby left, he does love him some disney and plays with woody and buzz everyday.  And there were also no dinosaur underwear available when we chose, but even if there had been I don't know that he could have been deterred.

 My friend and I had a good chat and laugh about all things superhero.  And how the underwear seem to be just as good as a full fledged costume, chonies on = commence super powers (i.e. jumping off of the highest surface available, 'flying' off the bed, shooting lasers out of your hands etc.).  It is absolutely genetic.  We have never played any of these games with Scott, he has never watched anything on TV or read any books that have anything remotely close to super powers and shooting things.  I suppose he knows about Super Grover from Sesame Street, but I think its a pretty big leap from him to Batman, maybe he gets the superman flying bit from him but that's all.

My friend and I also joked how we definitely need a superhero tutorial soon.  I got Superman, Batman and Spiderman down, so I think I'm good for a while.  But seriously there are some I have never heard of and some symbols I had no idea what they belonged to (example: aquaman, Scott got a pair of his chones and I had to look up that symbol to tell him what they were, he HAD to know!!).  I did a little research (to figure out who the unknown symbol belonged to) and discovered there is a "superhero" called manhunter martian or martian manhunter (I forgot now)...WEIRD!  And elongated man!!??!!  I mean what??!!  And Captain America is pretty big right now, gotta learn his story/powers.  As long as we stick to Clark Kent, Peter Parker, radio active spiders and the bat mobile then I'm in the clear (thank you hollywood blockbuster movies!!!)  I also discovered there is a "Hulk-girl",  I'm think about only answering to "hulk girl" from now now, or, at the very least, making that my Halloween costume next year!
So moms of boys (and girls too, if you are so inclined) I say we plan a girls night out to see the next big comic book movie they release, which can also include some bottles of wine : )  Call it research!


After buying the new chonies, Scott wanted to try them all on, so we had a fashion show.  When I put a picture on instagram/facebook I think I captioned it something along the lines of:  Mommies of girls get big bows and dresses, mommies of boys get superman chonies!!!  
Is there anything cuter than a little superman butt?  I don't think so!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers